As I stared miserably at my manuscript this afternoon, I asked myself – WHY am I struggling with editing so much? I had quite a list of excuses ready.
1. Because the toys in this house are very noisy. And so is the little boy who operates them.
2. Because I’ve just returned from a mini-vacation in Seattle. The time difference (all two hours of it) screwed up my ability to think straight.
3. Because it’s spring. I have allergies. (Then why, my husband keeps asking, do I insist on putting flowers in the house??)
4. Because there’s something beautiful to be made with this blueberry fabric. I’m just not sure what it is yet.
5. Because editing is hard! (stamp foot on the ground for effect) Especially when you’ve been out of the routine for five days and there’s a noisy little boy underfoot and there’s blueberry fabric sitting beside the new sewing machine. And did I mention there’s a two-hour time difference between Seattle and Minnesota?
6. Because there is sewing to do and there are quilts to be made. (Aren’t these quilts pretty? I found them all over my friend’s house while visiting Seattle. Yes, I took pictures of her baby too! He’s adorable!)
7. Because I’m hungry. While in Seattle my friends fed me steak, blue cheese and bacon mac-n-cheese, and sautéed spinach. I ate like a queen. (Or a pig – probably more appropriate.)
8. Because this little elephant is waiting for me to make him into a baby block.
10. Because I had to write out all of these excuses for not editing today. And blog about it. And then add pictures.
OKAY, I know. I can hear you telling me to stop whining and just get on with my editing! I’ll go put some ear plugs in, move the flowers to another room, and stop staring at the blueberry fabric. Promise. But thanks for letting me get away with it for just a little bit. And in case you felt like making some excuses of your own, here’s a little quote I found that can help kick our rears back into gear. 🙂
“The person who really wants to do something finds a way; the other person finds an excuse.” ~Author Unknown